Saturday, May 15, 2010

May 15--Leaving Dead Horse Point





Well, our three days are up. We had a great time and still have water in our tanks! Yeah. We really liked it here and would recommend it to anyone. Before we left this morning, I wanted to take one more hike on the rim trail Gary wasn't feeling very well (wonder if it was the mushroom soup?) so I decided to go alone and let him pick me up at The Point. That's a 2 1/2 mile trail through the desert to the overlook at the end of the butte. So off I go with only a bottle of water and a promise to get picked up in one hour. The trail was wonderful and I arrived at The Point parking lot exactly on time, but no little Jeep Wrangler. I stood around for a while and then started talking to a young Ranger who was trying to interest passersby in a little ecology lesson. He wasn't having any luck attracting anyone so I decided to be generous and listen to his spiel. Well, 30 minutes later when Gary still wasn't there, we were real good friends. After 45 minutes on The Point I decided to start walking back on the road (1 1/2 miles) and look for him. Just before I got back to the campground, my Ranger friend stopped and drove me on to the campsite. Sure enough, no Jeep or Gary. By now I had decided that Gary must be at the Visitor Center parking lot. All he heard me say was "pick me up at the parking lot". Now why he thought I would want to walk 1/4 mile to the Visitor Center I don't know. I told Mr. Ranger what he and the Jeep look like and please send him home, He was afraid I had gone over a cliff, and I was afraid he had gotten really ill. Oh, well, as Shakespeare said, All's well that ends well.

We drove to Torrey, Utah, and Capitol Reef National Park. We don't know much about this place but are staying for a week to explore. We have water, elec, sewer, wifi, and cell signal all for $14.25 a day!

The pictures are more from the White Rim road in Canyonlands.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that all turned out well and everyone was reunited. :) The pictures are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete